We used the song – SHINE FOR ME AGAIN, STAR OF BETHLEHEM as the theme for our Christmas party. I made a handout with the words to the song. My original thought was to do something to hold the plastic canvas stars, but I got really involved in this little paper sculpture and decided to hang little paper stars instead of the star ornaments.
I created piece in Illustrator. I started with the clip art of the shepherds and choose the background colors to match. I figured out how to fold the paper so there would be two high points together that would hold a wire with the stars. I had to fold a lot of paper to get it right, then I had to figure out how to lay it out in Illustrator. The words to the song are written around the outside, except for the words about seeing the face of the Baby Jesus.
I especially like the angel. I’ve discovered how easy it is to find and manipulate clip art in Microsoft Power Point. Click on -insert- click on clip art, do a search. Once you choose a picture, click on it to bring it into Power Point. Some of the clip art can be edit, so right click on the picture and look for ‘edit picture’. If it’s there, it is a picture you can edit. Click on ‘edit picture’ and all the parts are highlighted. You can move them around, erase them, duplicate them, etc. It’s lots of fun. On the angel, I took off the wings because we all know Mormon angels don’t have wings. I also copied the little clouds, resized them and added more. I made the colors a little more subdued. Here’s the cool part, when you’re finished, you can click on ‘save as picture’ and it is saved as a new file, (I think jpeg} that you can import into other programs.
Here is the page I had printed to make the handouts. I was really quite simple. I did have to make a template to cut out the piece because I still can’t make the draw tool work for me in Illustrator. Side note: I did all the transparencies and gradients myself without calling Curtis once. I cut off the stars, glued them together and cut them again. I cut out the piece, folded it on the dark line, curved it around and secured it with one glue dot. It was that simple. The stars took more time than the base.
I stuck the wire with the star in between the two sheets so the star hung over the manger. It was pretty tight, so I didn’t secure them.
Here’s 75 of them lined up waiting for their stars.
I made the handout with the idea that they would be placed at each table setting like, you know, a favor. But it didn’t match the decor, so the committee placed them on tables at the front of the room. They were placed on two tables in front of the vents, so the stars were spinning the whole time. It was pretty funky.