I used the specialty yarn that as fibers sticking out all over on some of the stars, mostly around the edges. It required a lot of patience. On this one I doubled the yarn. It took a long time, but it turned out fun.
I tried using the specialty yarn on the inside of a star. I did three parts and that was all I could handle. It was actually a kind of scarry looking star. I filled in the rest with regular yarn and added ribbon and beads. I even glued ribbon around the edges. It’s the star at the top. It kind of reminds me of a favorite pet.
Here are some more variations. I have to admit the black fringe on the top gray star wasn’t too effective.